Aircraft Life Support Equipment Technician
Virgin Galactic (VG) is seeking an experienced Aircraft Life Support Equipment Technician (ALSE) to support our Spaceline Technical Operations department. The candidate must have a desire to learn something new, enthusiasm for the new space industry and be able to mix aerospace enthusiasm and experience with Spaceline ALSE development and maintenance. This role will be located in Las Cruces, New Mexico with direct work at Spaceport America, the home of Virgin Galactic's commercial operations. Your Mission
- Without appreciable guidance, must complete assigned integration, maintenance, preventive maintenance and repair work on the ALSE equipment including, but not limited to, parachutes, helmets, masks, communications equipment, oxygen systems, Personal Locator Beacons (PLB's and survival equipment.
- Without appreciable guidance, checks, dismantles, adjusts, overhauls, repairs, fabricates, removes and installs aspects of aircraft based ALSE systems and standalone ALSE assets.
- Shall be required to return ALSE to service after maintenance had been performed as allowed by the Spaceline GMM, shall be required to complete and sign work records in connection with work performed.
- Work closely with VG maintenance management, pilots, trainers, doctors, designers and TSC/VG engineering to continuously improve systems, processes, and operations for SS2 and WK2 flight crew equipment mechanical and/or life support systems.
- Support training program definition and development with direct input of hands-on knowledge of ALSE via different mediums as appropriate.
- Train Pilots and MX crews as required on ALSE equipment and systems, including assisting in proper sizing, fitting and adjustment of ALSE.
- Develop and implement Planned Maintenance (PM) requirements for ALSE.
- Setup, track and execute maintenance for ALSE in the Maintenance Tracking System (MRO, Ultramain).
- Assist with development of maintenance manual definition for ALSE systems and assets.
- Assist with the Spaceline GMM development and definition.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Must have 5+ years of Aircraft Life Support Systems Equipment Technician (ALSE) maintenance experience and specialized training.
- Must be familiar with procedures applicable to the various phases of ALSE maintenance.
- Must have a valid passport and able to obtain a driver's license.
- Must be willing to travel and be on-call.
- Must be able to obtain an AOA badge.
- Must display the maturity of action and judgment with an excitement to learn, and must have good communication skills.
- Must be able to work under pressure and in a fast-paced environment.
- Must have the ability to assume responsibility for proper administration of policies and procedures.
Preferred Skills and Experience
- Minimum 2 years of college-level education preferred.
- Aircraft Maintenance experience preferred.
- Valid FAA approved Airframe and Powerplant license (A P License) preferred.
- Valid FAA approved Parachute Riggers Certification preferred.
- Certifications or similar within aerospace, aviation or automotive, preferred.
- Experience with maintenance tracking (MRO, Ultramain) software highly desired.
- Commercial passenger operations experience desirable.
Physical and/or Additional Requirements
- Must be able to work all shifts and available for overtime as well as weekends when needed.
- Must be able to stand for extended periods #8211; 8 hours min.
- Must be able to stoop, bend, crawl, and being able to maneuver in tight spaces.
- Physically able to handle items weighing up to 40lbs (unassisted).
ITAR RequirementsTo conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by ITAR (22 CFR #167;120.15) or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.Personal RequirementsThe Virgin Galactic organization has a relaxed and informal culture that encourages individuality and innovation. You will be motivated, enterprising and enthusiastic. Company culture is such that you need to be able to #8220;check your ego at the door,#8221; be a self-starter and possess a sense of humility. You will work well under commercial pressure and thrive on being given challenges and responsibility. You will communicate clearly and be confident and persuasive. You will have a high level of integrity and understand the need of complete confidentiality.Virgin Galactic is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with Virgin Galactic is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.