Mechanic, Senior- LaGuardia Airport
POSITION PURPOSELeads mechanics in performing preventive maintenance, repair, modifications and other maintenance of aircraft, components and related equipment in accordance with standards and regulations.ESSENTIAL DUTIES To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Leads mechanics in performing preventive maintenance, repair, modifications and other maintenance of aircraft, components and related equipment in compliance with 14 CFR, manufactures specifications, the GMM, Company policy and procedures as well as other methods accepted by the FAA and OSHA.
- Performs maintenance mechanic duties in all areas inside and outside the hangar as well as at the airport terminal.
- Troubleshoots all aircraft systems. Assists and executes maintenance work orders.
- Uses tools, equipment and test apparatus necessary to assure completion of the work in accordance with accepted industry practices. Verifies that all calibrated tooling is current on its calibration before use. Verifies materials and parts used are of a serviceable condition.
- Verifies that each part or component is effective for the aircraft on which it will be installed.
- Adheres to material handling and control procedures specified in GMM and by the equipment manufacturers. Initiates material requests.
- Ensures that mechanics within assigned area are evaluating the area and equipment that will be utilized to ensure that safety is not compromised before performing any maintenance action. Applies safety first at all times.
- Leads licensed mechanics to ensure that the work area, shop or ramp is kept clean and free of hazards.
- Updates Supervisor on progress of work performed. Reviews paperwork at the end of shift to ensure that all work accomplished is signed for prior to departing the maintenance facility. Assists with completion of shift turnover reports in accordance with procedures in the GMM.
- Ensures that mechanics complete all department internal company forms, maintenance records, documents, work orders etc.
- Provides coaching and on-the-job training as directed.
- Adheres to established work schedule. Participates in shift meetings and briefings as required.
- Submits in writing any suggested changes in operational procedures that will enhance safe and cost effective aircraft maintenance.
- Accesses Company Intranet to become familiar with and utilize the GMM and aircraft manuals. Ensures part effectivity is correct per aircraft.
- Adheres to recurrent training, including required FAA AMT training, and keeps necessary licenses and certification up-to-date.
- Reads and acknowledges understanding of maintenance newsletters and Company Emails on a timely basis.
- Provides technical leadership to team and department members. Leads through example; monitors, influences and trains others. Provides input to supervisor on performance reviews and helps to identify development needs.
- Performs other duties as assigned or required.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIESThe requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability necessary to perform this job. EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE.
- High school diploma or equivalent with an FAA Airframe and Powerplant license.
- Successful completion of formal OJT program, system familiarization course completion on applicable aircraft or one year previous experience in area of expertise in aircraft maintenance.
- RII qualification of applicable aircraft, Run and Taxi qualification on applicable aircraft.
PREFERRED EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
- 3 years of A P mechanic experience on similar aircraft.
- Previous lead or supervisory experience. Experience with Microsoft office applications.
- Possess a stable employment history.
- Must have and maintain a valid Driver’s License and a clean driving record.
- Must possess the required tools.
- Able to work both in a team setting and individually.
- Able to pass an FAA required 10 year work history review and pass criminal background and fingerprint checks.
- Willing to submit to and pass FAA and Company mandated random drug and alcohol tests.
LANGUAGE SKILLS Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively and be understood before groups of associates of the organization.REASONING/PROBLEM SOLVING ABILITY Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.DECISION MAKING Possess decision making skills. Makes limited decisions and determines best methods to solve problems by referring to established precedents and policies. Impact of decisions is moderately low.PHYSICAL DEMANDSThe physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- Able to stand, walk, use hands to finger, handle and feel, reach with hands and arms at least 90 of the time.
- Able to climb or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch and crawl up to 60 of the time.
- Able to lift up to 50 pounds at least 35 of the time.
- Able to lift or move 75 pounds over 70 of the time.
- Must be able to see to perform work and to see approaching vehicles, aircraft and machinery.
WORK ENVIRONMENTThe work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.
- Work near moving mechanical parts, work with fumes or airborne particles over 90 of the time.
- Work in high, precarious places up to 50 of the time.
- Work around toxic or caustic chemicals up to 30 of the time.
- Withstand risk of electric shock and work with explosives up to 10 of the time.
- Work in outdoor weather conditions inside and outside an open air hangar as well as the airport terminal up to 100 of the time.
- The work environment can be very loud.
- Able to wear a respirator and protective equipment for testing and regular duties. This includes minimal facial hair in order to ensure proper fit in of respirator in accordance with OSHA regulations.
- Able to work nights, evenings, weekends and holidays to support 24 hour operations.
TRAVEL REQUIREMENTS: Able to travel up to 20 of the time, including overnight travel.
See job description.