Sheet Metal Mechanic
The Defense Group, Airborne Solutions Operation, High Resolution ISR Systems Division at Leidos currently has an opening for an A&P Mechanic to work in our FAA Part 145 Repair station located in Manassas, VA. We integrate, man, deploy, and maintain FAA certified aircraft for various CONUS and OCONUS operations in support of DOD and other agencies/partners.We are seeking an A&P Mechanic with sheet metal and structural experience for modification and ongoing support of turbo prop and jet powered aircraft. The incumbent will perform sheet metal repair, fabrication and structural modifications, which requires a strong understanding and ability to read and follow technical data, interpret blueprints, engineering drawings, standard operating procedures, and manufacturing specifications in the modification / maintenance process.This position requires a strong ability to utilize precision tools to perform structural repairs and modifications to exacting standards. The candidate must be able to layout and drill precision holes, install rivets, hi-loks, and other hardware and work with engineers to produce "First Article" parts.Work includes fabrication of sheet metal and composite components on aircraft in a timely manner while delivering a clean, safe quality product with attention to detail on the form, fit and finish. The incumbent will assist with troubleshooting of structural related issues. Additionally, work may include aircraft maintenance tasks to include trouble shooting, diagnosis, phase inspections and flight line repair. Primary Responsibilities
- Fabricate, Assemble, Install, and repair sheet metal parts and using products and processes which are varied but generally not complex in scope.
- Must read and interpret engineering blueprints, drawings, manuals, specifications sketches, job orders, planning documents and engineering drawings.
- Determines equipment requirements and the method and sequences of operation to be followed in fabrication of parts using materials such as graphite, fiberglass, plastic, epoxy resins, rubber and like materials.
- Paint removal, metal forming, fastener use, disassembly/reassembly of mechanical components.
- Corrosion removal and surface treatment.
- Selects tooling and materials compatible with the processing techniques identified in the work instructions and documentation of repairs.
- Capable to diagnose and repair aircraft components, including electrical wiring.
- Other duties as assigned
Education & Experience
- High School diploma and 3+ years of prior relevant experience
- Bachelor's Degree in related discipline desired but not required
- Previous experience working with sheet metal, or completion of a technical school program in a similar field of study
- Valid FAA Airframe & Powerplant license
- Lift balance, and carry 50 lbs.
- Crawl in and out of tight spaces
- Lay in a prone position for more than 2 hours
- Manage time to effectively meet company priorities
- Work in enclosed hangars and exterior weather conditions
- Comfortably work at elevated heights of at least 40 feet for extended periods of time
- Must complete DoT drug test to determine the presence of illegal or un-prescribed controlled substances
- Must be a U.S. Citizen
- Must be at least 21 years of age
- Must possess a valid state driver's license
- Must read, write, speak and understand English
- Must be able to meet all CRC deployment and medical requirements
- Must have the ability to obtain and maintain an active DOD security clearance at the SECRET level, or higher
- Prior CNC Machine experience
- Experience with King Air, DHC-8 or Challenger aircraft preferred
- NDT II: Electromagnetic and Liquid Penetrant a plus