Sherwin-Williams Next Generation of Military Aerospace Coatings Provides Extended Weatherability
Sherwin-Williams now offers a complete, military-approved coating system. Sherwin-Williams 85285E Military Aerospace Coating is a high-performance, polyurethane topcoat designed for exterior use on military, general aviation and commercial aircraft. This coating meets military extreme-weatherability performance requirements and is qualified to the U.S. Naval Air Warfare Center (NAWC), Patuxent River, MD, military aircraft specification MIL-PRF-85285E, Type I and IV, Class H.
The next-generation military topcoat can be applied with qualified primers MIL-PRF-23377K, Type I, Class C2—CM0724933 or E90G203. The new topcoat is considered a high-solids product: when applied it emits less than 3.5 pounds/gallon of VOC.
“Sherwin-Williams is known for its high-quality, proven aerospace topcoats. We are excited to offer these innovative and highly durable new coatings that now carry the full qualification for military aircraft needs,” says Chip Mullins, Sherwin-Williams Aerospace Global Sales director.
The new 85285E Military Aerospace Coating is available for all types of military aircraft applications and improves shop-processing flow because of its fast dry-times. Its color availability is limitless, while offering excellent DOI and outstanding gloss and gloss-retention, despite weathering.
Some advantages of Sherwin-Williams 85285E Military Aerospace Coating include:
- Meets extreme-weatherability performance requirements
- Fast dry-times, improving shop-processing flow
- Good buffing characteristics
- Chemical-resistant, including Skydrol and other hydraulic fluids
- Exhibits outstanding gloss and gloss-retention upon weathering
- Excellent flow and leveling
- Excellent distinctness-of-image (DOI)
- Contains less than 3.5 lbs/gal (420 g/L) of VOC
- Very low HAPS content, <2% by weight
- Free of lead and chromate hazards
- Unlimited colors available.
For information on the new 85285E Military Aerospace Coating or other Sherwin-Williams Aerospace Coatings, call 888-888-5593 or visit http://www.swaerospace.com/products/exterior/topcoats/military-aerospace-topcoats/mil-prf85285e-type-1-and-iv-gloss-polyurethane.